Bangkok Noodles – Recipe Of The Month
Spicy Rice Noodles with Beef – Serves 4
480g beef fillet, thinly sliced
450g rice noodles
3dsp sunflower oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed, chopped
5 bird’s eye chillies, crushed, chopped 80g onion, sliced
50g spring onion, cut 4cm
100g mixed peppers, sliced
2 chillies, sliced
30ml chicken stock or water
3dsp soy sauce
2dsp oyster sauce
1dsp black soy sauce
10g sweet basil
• Soak the noodles in cold water until soft for about 30 minutes, drain and set to one side.
• Bring a wok to medium heat, add the oil, garlic and bird’s eye chillies and stir until you get their aromas. Add the beef and stir for 30 seconds.
• Add the soaked rice noodles, stir and then add the onion, spring onion, peppers and chillies and cook for a minute.
• Season with soy sauce, oyster sauce, black soy sauce, and sugar.
• Using a ladle, add some stock or water, pouring it in around the edge of the wok so as not to cool the wok down and gathering all the lovely ingredients at the edge. Stir until the sauce is absorbed by the noodles.
Add the sweet basil at the very end and serve.