Recipe Of The Month
Pho Bò, Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup
240g beef fillet, thinly sliced
200g rice stick noodles
200g bean sprouts
For the stock:
1kg beef bones
1 onion, quartered
2 sticks celery
30g galangal, sliced
1tsp white peppercorns
4 star anise
2 sticks cinnamon
8dsp soy sauce
4dsp black soy sauce
30g coriander root
4dsp hot chilli sauce
1 lime, quartered
50g bean sprouts
6 bird’s eye chillies, finely sliced
10g sweet basil
30g spring onion, sliced
10g Vietnamese parsley, chopped
To make the stock:
- Put all the ingredients into a big saucepan, bring it to the boil and simmer gently for 2-3 hours or until the stock has reduced by half.
- Pass it through a sieve and keep to one side.
- Soak the rice noodles in cold water for about 30 minutes until soft, drain and keep to one side.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil, cook the noodles and bean sprouts for 20 seconds, drain and put in a soup bowl.
- Bring the stock to the boil, add the sliced beef and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour it over the noodles, top with spring onions, Vietnamese parsley and sweet basil.
- Serve accompanied with any combination or all of the following: hot chilli sauce, lime wedges, bean sprouts, sweet basil, bird’s eye chillies and fish sauce.
- Garnish with parsley and spring onion.